Start your career in the creative industries on the right foot with this entry-level course that will give you foundation skills and knowledge to undertake further studies. With a focus on creativity, communication and problem-solving you will learn about colour theory, drawing, design, typography and collaboration.
- Graphic Operator
- Digital Artist
- Junior Design Assistant
Certificate III in Design Fundamentals
First term subjects are timetabled as 3 face-to-face. Second term subjects are timetabled as 2 face-to-face and 1 online.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Credit Transfer
Students may be eligible to obtain credits for individual modules as a result of experience gained in employment in the relevant business fields or from previous training or education. A fee is payable for assessing your RPL status. Students may also be eligible for credit transfer for relevant units studied at an Australian Registered Training Organisation.
Please see College Policies for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Credit Transfer Policy.
Mode of Delivery
Student visa holders: Full-time study delivered face-to-face with up to one third (⅓) online.
Domestic students (and other visas): Full-time/part-time study options delivered face-to-face, online and/or blended.
Design Fundamentals students will require the following equipment and software:
• A functioning and monitored email address
• A modern computer (see specs below)
• Face-to-face students: Laptop
• Online students: Laptop or desktop
• Broadband internet access (300 kbps is a minimum requirement)
• A video capable device and/or a digital camera
• Access to a scanner/printer (minimum 1000+ DPI, A4 size)
• Sufficient IT skill sets to operate in an online environment
• Adobe CC; InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Student price (Approx. $21.99 per month)
• SketchUp – Student price (Approx. $93.50 per year)
• Google Suite (Google Docs, Slides and Sheets included as part of your Student Email Account)
• Relevant software to upload and download PDFs & videos
To operate CAD and Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Applications the computer requires;
• Internet connection required
• PC: Microsoft® Windows 7 or later, Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor, minimum 2.6 GB or more of available hard-disk space, OpenGL 2.0-capable system.
• Mac: Mac OS X v10.9 or later, Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support, 2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended), 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space for installation, OpenGL 2.0-capable system
All APC vocational courses are assessed through a combination of assessment types that may include short answer questions, studio projects, essays, reports, group tasks, portfolios and/or presentations.
Successful completion of Australian Year 10 or equivalent at minimum. For more information please visit our website apc.edu.au.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
International students - Successful completion of 8 weeks of General English at Intermediate level or equivalent (plus 80% attendance) at English Unlimited or 10 weeks at other approved providers.