Targeting the practical aspects and employability skills for the design industry, this program will interest those wishing to work as a:
- Entry level Graphic Designer
- Junior First Design and Layout Assistant
- Entry level Typographer
- Graphic Design Production Assistant
- Entry level Illustrator
Design and Layout Assistant
Diploma of Graphic Design (CUA50720)
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Credit Transfer
Students may be eligible to obtain credits for individual modules as a result of experience gained in employment in the relevant business fields or from previous training or education. A fee is payable for assessing your RPL status. Students may also be eligible for credit transfer for relevant units studied at an Australian Registered Training Organisation.
Please see College Policies for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Credit Transfer Policy.
Mode of Delivery
Overseas students: Full-time study delivered face-to-face with up to one third (⅓) online.
Domestic students: Full-time/part-time study options delivered face-to-face, online and/or blended.
Graphic Design students will require the following equipment and software:
• A functioning and monitored email address
• A modern computer (see specs below)
• Face-to-face students: Laptop
• Online students: Laptop or desktop
• Broadband internet access (300 kbps is a minimum requirement)
• A video capable device and/or a digital camera
• Access to a scanner/printer (minimum 1000+ DPI, A4 size)
• Sufficient IT skill sets to operate in an online environment
• Adobe CC; InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator Student price (Approx. $21.99 per month)
• Microsoft Office, Excel & Powerpoint or equivalent software (Approx. $199.00 one off payment)
• Relevant software to upload and download PDFs & videos
To operate Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Applications the computer requires;
• Internet connection required
• PC: Microsoft® Windows 7 or later, Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor, minimum 2.6 GB or more of available hard-disk space, OpenGL 2.0-capable system.
• Mac: Mac OS X v10.9 or later, Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support, 2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended), 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space for installation, OpenGL 2.0-capable system
|DAY||DAY 1||DAY 2|
|08:30 - 12:30||Lecture||Lecture|
|13:30 - 17:30||Studio workshop||Studio workshop|
- All subjects have a compulsory online component of 2 hours per subject
All APC vocational courses are assessed through a combination of assessment types that may include short answer questions, studio projects, essays, reports, group tasks, portfolios and/or presentations.
Successful completion of Australian Year 11 or equivalent, or a Certificate IV level course and submission of a design portfolio with 5-8 pieces of original creative work.
To enter this qualification, individuals must provide evidence of their technical skills and ability to:
• produce multiple examples of graphic design work that respond effectively to different design challenges
• produce typography that supports the overall design solution
• use graphic design industry software
Click here to download the our full sample of works (portfolio) guide.
English Level Required (Overseas students only)*
Successful completion of 8 weeks of General English at Intermediate level or equivalent (plus 80% attendance) at English Unlimited or 10 weeks at other approved providers.